The following tips are for introverts and can be used for public speaking—or in some cases—at the drive-through window.
• Speak slower than you think you should if you're nervous. Your mind is probably moving so fast that you'll actually be talking at a normal speed.
• Keep your body movements unhurried.
• Remember that people have an 8 second attention span. They won't listen to every word.
• Speak to the wall just behind them and over their heads. Put your imaginary friend there.
• If they check their phones, it's normal. If you check the time, wonder aloud if they need a break.
• You'll make a mistake. Don't sweat it.
• Memorize the first paragraph to get yourself off to a good start.